Home | Store


Chris Cognac Is Making Me Fat
Thursday, November 08, 2007 | posted by Mike

Giada De Laurentiis isn't the only one with an expanding waistline these days.

Zero trips to a gym in the past two months and easy access to plenty of food have resulted less-than-stellar weight-management habits by yours truly. And, since it's always easier to avoid accountability and blame someone else, I'm going to go ahead and say that it's Chris Cognac's fault.

OK, I can't really pin all of the blame on The Hungry Detective. But I'm thinking that he deserves at least a little bit of it because the gelato and sorbetto place that he profiled in the Philadelphia episode is only about three blocks from my office. Now, any Philly Foodie worth his salt knows about Capogiro, so I was bound to end up there sooner or later. Unfortunately, I have a couple of enabling coworkers who made sure that it was "sooner" rather than "later." And half way through my pine nut gelato, I knew why they were so eager to take me. I guess I should have known to head straight there, since I made a comment about Capogiro in my review of the Philly episode.

The best part about Capogiro (besides the amazing gelato, of course) is the fact that they allow -- nay, encourage -- you to sample a couple of flavors before deciding on one. I think it's perfectly acceptable to go through four or five before settling on a flavor. Of course, this has the added benefit of enticing you to come back again and try that one you sampled last time but didn't get. For me, that flavor is Thai Coconut Milk, although Lime with Cilantro is calling my name, too.

This makes two trips to Cognac-approved locales (the other was Bleecker Street Pizza in NYC ) and two home runs, so if he stopped by your city, you might want to check out one of his recommendations.

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.