Home | Store


The Batali Clog Backlash Has Begun
Thursday, September 14, 2006 | posted by Mike

CrocsI mentioned a while back about the rise in popularity of Crocs, the brand name of those orange clogs popularized by Mario Batali. Personally, I get a kick out of them. Yeah, they look a little goofy and I don't know that I'd feel like stepping out for a hot night on the town with a pair of them on, but you could wear them in place of flip-flops or just around the house. In fact, just for giggles, I tried them on at a store and they really are very comfortable and extremely light, so I can see how they would appeal to people who have to be on their feet for an extended period of time. And the variety of colors is pretty cool.

As is often the case with this kind of geek-chic item, Crocs have caught on with celebrities and people who want to have their footwear be noticed.

And, as one would expect, the backlash against the fad is under way. Radar Online has a story decrying Crocs for both their appearance and as an example of inane fashion trends. It also mentions an ihatecrocs.com website (which currently features a "Friends don't let friends wear Crocs" t-shirt) and explains how the "ugliness" of the clog has become a selling point and has actually made it into the advertising.

Like I said, I think they're kind of cool, but you don't come here for fashion advice, do you? So I'll just say that it's good to see a food TV celebrity having an impact beyond the usual circles.

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.