New York Times Article on Food Network
Sunday, December 16, 2007 | posted by Mike
Be sure to check out a very interesting article in the New York Times about the Food Network.
It gives a nice summary of the state of the Network and includes a couple of tidbits, including a new deal with Rachael Ray, " to be announced Monday, [which] calls for her to make 13 episodes of a new prime-time travel show, called “Rachael’s Vacation.” But she will cut back on “30 Minute Meals,” to 60 new episodes a year from 80."
It also has this interesting piece of information regarding Mario's upcoming series with Gwyneth Paltrow:
Well, they can't both be right, can they?
Mr. Tuschman of the Food Network said it had passed on that series. “It was not the right fit for us.”
Mr. Batali, who still participates in the Food Network’s “Iron Chef America” competition, said the show had not been offered to the Food Network.
The article presents some of the challenges faced by the Network, including increased competition from other networks and some slippage in viewership. But the piece also acknowledges the strong brand reputation and possibilities for new shows, including one about the Neely barbecue restaurant in Memphis, a family which we talked about earlier this year.
I will have some more reflections on this tomorrow. In the meantime, be sure to scroll down for our visit to the Food Network Store!
Labels: Food Network