Home | Store


Sandra Lee's Memoirs: Fun with Social Tagging
Tuesday, October 23, 2007 | posted by Mike

I don’t read nearly as much as I should. Scratch that. I read plenty, but it’s usually Web sites, e-mails and various other things that don’t really qualify as literature. And, yes “other things” includes this site, so don’t think I’m being snooty or anything.

I’m talking about books, honest to goodness printed volumes that have been written, edited and published, which would assume that there’s at least a modicum of thought and care put into them. With this in mind, I’m proud to supply you with a link to the upcoming Sandra Lee memoir, Made From Scratch. That’s right – you can order it now and have it shipped to you as soon as it’s out. (And, of course, if you use that link over at the top of the post, you’ll be contributing a tiny little bit to the TVFF beer fund.)

I’ll just be honest with you. I’m not going to read it. Why? Because (a) I have a stack of books to read a mile high and (b) the folks at Television Without Pity will do a much better job of tearing this thing to shreds than I’d ever do. Yes, I’m looking at you, Spoonie!

But I did want to share with you one funny thing that I found. If you check out the listing on Amazon, they’re now allowing people to “tag” products with words that are relevant to the item in question. My guess is that you can search on those tags and find similar materials. Now, what could possibly go wrong with that?

Well, the folks at Amazon must have anticipated some shenanigans, because they took the time to write up guidelines, including:

By default your tags are public so everyone can view them. You should not use:

I suppose it depends on your interpretation of “inciting or spiteful,” but if you take a look at the tags that some enterprising early reviewers added, you’ll see that they didn’t hold back. Some of my favorites include:

delusions of grandeur

alkyhol-hic

corn nuts

kakes of kultural insensitivity

crimes against food

in need of a sammich

In case you were wondering about “corn nuts” and “kakes of kultural insensitivity,” take a look at this oldie but goodie. Do yourself a favor and check out the full list and feel free to leave your top choices in the comments section below.

DISCLAIMER: TVFF does not condone, support or advocate the misuse of social media tools like tags to defame any person or institution. Unless it’s really, really funny – like this.

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.