Home | Store


Second Season of "Shopping with Chefs" Starts May 3rd
Monday, April 14, 2008 | posted by Mike

Sorry for the long break this weekend. Life has been busy and I spent a good portion of my free time convincing my new Macbook to play nice with my wireless network. I thought I had it figured out, but then it had problems today. It's looking good for now, but we'll see...

Anyway, you all know that I'm a big fan of Shopping with Chefs. My admiration for the show goes way back, and I can assure that it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they also fed me very well. But, hey...that didn't hurt.

When I first got my DVR, I added SwC as a subscription and was able to quickly catch all of the episodes. Looks like it's time to fire up the DVR once again:
Beginning Saturday, May 3rd at 2pm ET, FINE LIVING NETWORK will present all new episodes of its original series Shopping with Chefs (series airs weekends at 2pm ET). Co-hosts David Myers (chef owner of Los Angeles’ eateries Sona and Comme Ça and the patisserie Boule) and Jill Davie (chef de cuisine at the Santa Monica hotspot, Josie and a former competitor on FOOD NETWORK'S The Next Iron Chef) employ their culinary expertise as respected chefs to help viewers navigate the vast world of kitchen essentials. Each weekend, the two help the time-starved, chef-at-home cook better by shopping smarter.

The newest batch of episodes served up by FINE LIVING will cover kitchen gadgets and food that ranges from the obvious to the obscure including, shopping for scallops, cauliflower, asparagus, pies, olives, gelato, chile peppers, mushrooms and home herb gardens. Viewers will learn how to choose the right crepe maker, slowcooker, food processor and milkshake mixer and get tips on picking out the perfect refrigerator and cooking range. And just in time for summer, Myers and Davies will share their secrets on what to buy in order to fire up the grill and have a sizzling outdoor entertaining experience, from outdoor "smokers" to margarita makers!
Check out that original review for my full take on the show. After having seen all of the additional episodes, as much as I get a kick out of the gadgets, gizmos and appliances that they cover, the ingredient shopping trips are what really sets the show apart for me. Few other shows (Good Eats being one of them) go to the trouble of educating the viewer on perhaps the most important part of good home cooking -- the fine art of choosing quality ingredients.

On so many cooking shows, there seems to be an aura of perfection when it comes to the ingredients. World-class vegetables and fantastic proteins just "appear" in the celebrity chef's kitchen. Being able to see how to separate the wheat from the chaff goes a long way toward your and my ability to recreate these dishes in our own homes.

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.