Home | Store


My New Favorite Look: "The Colicchio"
Thursday, August 02, 2007 | posted by Mike

First off, I'd like to welcome the many, many people who are getting to TVFF by Googling "Rocco DiSpirito plastic surgery" today. Welcome aboard!

Yes, after literally weeks of anticipation, we got to see Rocco in all of his nipped-and-tucked glory last night. He was surprisingly reserved (probably needed to be on his best behavior for his employers at Bertolli), but it was fun to see the contestants take some shots at him during the talking head interviews. Grub Street also has Joey's thoughts on Rocco.

OK...when it comes to the question of surgery, Mrs. TVFF and I aren't 100% sure. It is clear that he's lost a bunch of weight, so I'm not certain how much of a factor that may be.

But enough about that...I want to talk about my new favorite "look," which I finally put my finger on last night.

What do I mean by "look?" You know how Jack Benny would do his deadpan "hand on the chin" gesture and Archie Bunker had his trademark sneer of disgust at something Meathead said? It's that kind of comedic "take" that that sticks in your mind and creates a memorable character. Well, we now have "The Colicchio." It's not created out of exasperation or contempt. It's more of a look of bemused pity at events that are about to unfold, but which can only be foreseen by Tom Colicchio because he's smarter and a better chef than you.

Here's how it usually happens.

Tom Colicchio: "So, tell me what you're doing here."

Contestant: "I'm about to try my half-baked plan."

Tom Colicchio: (Knowing full well the plan has no chance of working) "Do you think this plan is going to work?"

Contestant: "Yes"

Tom Colicchio: (Silently gives the contestant "The Colicchio") OK. (Walks away.)

And...scene.

You'll know it when you see it. There's a slight smile and an attempt to sincerely look like he thinks you know what you're talking about. He's trying not to laugh at your foolishness, but he files it away knowing there will be a "told you so" moment at the judges' table.

I'll agree that it's not quite as subtle as a Geoff Manthorne eyebrow raise, but It is my new fave.

So, do you want to subject yourself to "The Colicchio" on next year's Top Chef? Are you in the Las Vegas area?

If so, head on out this Sunday, August 5th from Noon-4:00 to:

Guy Savoy
Augustus Tower
Caesars Palace
3570 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Las Vegas, NV. 89109

Here are the details on what you need to apply. Best of luck!

Labels: ,

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.