Home | Store


Mmmm.....Cake
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 | posted by Mike

Often, when I'm working on the house (or, for that matter, goofing off) on a Saturday afternoon, I use either the Food Network or PBS's cooking lineup as "background." It's usually during this block of time that I end up catching parts of an episode of Food Network Challenge. I'm always surprised when I end up getting pulled into a particular episode, considering the fact that I do little-to-no baking myself. The appeal is, I think, the struggle of the contestants who dare to think big with their designs and then have to scramble to realize it.

In a way, it's a little like Name That Tune. Just as that show makes you sit back and think, "He's never going to be able to name that song in just one note," Food Network Challenge has you thinking, "He's never going to be able to pull that cake off." Part of the fun is watching them crash 'n' burn, but there's something fun about rewarding the big thinker who is able to actually pull it off.

Just in time for the upcoming The Simpsons Movie, there will be an episode of Food Network Challenge focusing on the long-running animated series. The episode will debut on July 25 at 9pm ET/PT. According to the press release:

Ay Carumba! In this episode of Food Network Challenge, four professional cake designers try to capture the spirit of one of television’s craziest families – The Simpsons! Just in time for the release of the feature film The Simpsons Movie, the designers have to try to bring the animated characters to life – in cake. The winner will receive $10,000 and have the opportunity to have their cake featured at the star-studded movie premiere in Hollywood! (The Simpsons Movie hits movie theaters on Friday, July 27th.)

Perhaps the best thing to come out of Food Network Challenge is Ace of Cakes star Duff Goldman. In the spirit of the post, that's Duff up at the top there, Simpsons-style. I'll admit he came off a little too "hoodlum" and not enough "rock and roll," and the soul patch probably needs to be scaled down, but that was the best I could do. Of course, the "Duff Beer" t-shirt was a nice touch. I agonized over the eyebrows for something like twenty minutes, so I hope Mr. Goldman appreciates this if he ever Googles himself.

In case you're wondering, the other one is me. I checked with Mrs. TVFF and she confirmed that it kinda bears a resemblance. I'm not sure that's a compliment. I do like me some donuts, though.

Can you tell I spent way too much time on the Simpsons avatar creator on the movie site?

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.