Home | Store


Tag, I'm It: Welcome Dinner Meme
Tuesday, November 14, 2006 | posted by Mike

Jessica over at foodtvandme.com tagged me for a meme!
Which menu would you serve to blogging friends for a welcome dinner upon their first visit to your home?
I suppose a little explanation is necessary for those not familiar with blog memes. A meme is a topic or question that someone makes up, blogs on and then “tags” other bloggers to take on the same question or topic. It’s a fun thing to do and, frankly, a nice way to bang something out when I have nothing else to talk about.

The nice thing about this theoretical dinner is that I can mix and match cuisines without worrying about making my guests sick.

In honor of the Cuisinart food processor I just got as a wedding shower present (thanks Mom & Dad!), I’d start off with some fresh, home-made hummus. Since it’s a party and I had time to plan ahead, I would probably roast a head of garlic and toss that in there as well. I also might change it up and make it with cannellini beans instead of chick peas, but only if I was feeling really adventurous!

Next I would do a pasta course. I’d be tempted to do Lidia Bastianich’s Fusili Puttanesca (page 116 of Lidia’s Italian-American Kitchen), which I do really well. But for the cool presentation and amazing flavor, I would probably go with Mario Batali’s Spaghetti Carbonara (go here and scroll down). The egg yolk on top is the clincher.

For the main course, I’d go to Thailand by way of the United Kingdom with Jamie Oliver’s Monkfish Wrapped in Banana leaves with Ginger, Cilantro, Chile, and Coconut Milk, which he did on Oliver’s Twist. You can probably go with the aluminum foil, but the banana leaves do make for a fantastic presentation. And be sure to go to a good Asian market and pick up some jasmine rice…a must for this recipe.

And I’d stay in Thailand for the desert, as well. Mango Sauce, made with fresh mango, bananas and a little lime juice (e-mail me for the recipe) makes the perfect topping for really good vanilla ice cream. I would recommend Halo Farm’s Tahiti Vanilla Bean (see the video below…I can’t believe someone actually put a video of Halo on the Internet), but unless you live near TVFF.com’s headquarters, you can’t get it. If you can get your hands on some of that sesame brittle candy, crush some up and spread it over the top as a garnish.

So, there you have it. I hope you enjoyed your virtual dinner and now I would like to tag the folks below to pick up the meme and run with it.


 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.