Home | Store


Famous vs. Food TV Famous
Monday, August 28, 2006 | posted by Mike

This is the first day of what I am sure will be the quietest week of the year. You see…who wants to make news during a week when half of the country is on vacation and the other half isn’t paying attention because it is fixated on the upcoming long weekend?

Fortunately, our comments section saves us from a lack of anything interesting to write about:

Dan, a.k.a. The Hungover Gourmet, raises a few very good points in his comment within the “Tyler Florence” post below. One that caught my eye is the question, “[I]s Florence really that well known to the world outside Food Network?”

Since we spend so much time thinking about and watching food TV, we tend to develop a bit of skewed sense of the role that food entertainment plays in the bigger picture of show business and general culture. Of course, we can rattle off the “big three” Iron Chefs, but you have to wonder if the average Joe knows the network beyond “that guy that says ‘Bam!’”

I don’t think this actually has any hard repercussions to what we’re doing here. This is a hobby for us, and we treat it as such. But, on occasion, it’s fun to take a look at the big picture. Since I figure this week will be kind of slow in terms of news (probably just jinxed myself), look for a couple of posts about the place of food TV in today’s culture, and how we got to where we are.

Of course, if you have any thoughts or ideas or would like to write something up, drop me a line at tvfoodfan@gmail.com and let me know what’s on your mind.

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.