Home | Store


What's that Beeping?
Monday, January 14, 2008 | posted by Mike

This shouldn't come as a shock to any of you, but every once in a while, it's good to take a step back and think about the million little ways life has changed over the past few years. After all, a site like TV Food Fan wouldn't have even existed ten years ago. And that was after the initial maturation of the web into a communications/entertainment/information vehicle.

But the one change that may be most pervasive and may have had the biggest impact on each of us is the proliferation of electronic devices that we now own around the house and which we keep on our person. Think about it...cell phones, PDAs, iPods, laptops -- and those are just the ones you carry with you. Add to that all of the devices like desktop computers, DVRs, digital thermostats and wireless routers and you can see that you can't walk more than five feet without encountering one of them.

And, so, it wasn't terribly surprising to me thatI was sitting upstairs at the desktop computer in TVFF HQ when I heard a faint but distinct and regularly-spaced beeping. As we all know, that kind of beeping is usually emitted by one of those electronic devices when it has received a message, run low on batteries or something of that nature. Usually, I'll hear it and dig around to find out that my cell needs to be plugged in or that the furnace filter needs to be replaced (which it does...something else to do this weekend). But this beeping was one that wasn't familiar to me, so I assumed it was one of Mrs. TVFF's devices and ignored it.

After about ten minutes of the sound, Mrs. TVFF came walking up the stairs and I turned around to ask her about it.
"What is that beeping? Is something running out of power?"

"No, not that I know of."

"Listen...can you hear it?" [Beep]

"Oh, that. I'm watching Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America. That's them bleeping whenever he curses."
It's not a surprise that Gordon Ramsay curses. It's also not a surprise that he curses a lot. What shocked me is that he curses so regularly and consistently that I actually thought it was the clockwork-like beeping of a cell phone.

That takes talent.

Labels:

 







Hi, I'm Mike and I created TVFoodFan.com as a place where you can come to get the latest news and views about what’s going on in the world of culinary television.

Contact Us at: mike@tvfoodfan.com














Click on the box above to browse our selected products or search all of Amazon.com below to purchase from our store.